Sunday, September 30, 2007

BIRTHDAY PARTY

With everyone turning 5years old this year, kids on my son class are busy partying. Either during school day with just simple birthday cake and loly bags, or weekend birthday party, which means parents are involve (Because there is no way on earth you would send your 5 years old kid go to birthday party alone. Not in the country that having a little boy means greater risk than little girl)

So, that was what happened yesterday. My son got invite from his mate, for birthday party in the bowling place so called Disco Bowling. We were excited –at first. And with the fact that we know this family quite well, we came in full team. Me, my husband, our son and our little baby daughter.

When we walked into the building, we came to the shocked. We –me & my husband- looked each other in disbelief that this family decided to have birthday party on this place. Not only this place was dark and not a friendly place for kids, also the music video-clip projected onto the screen was absolutely adult music. From Elvis to Robbie Williams with his dancer, from Britney Spears to Spice Girl. All sexy saucy raunchy kind of clip.

5 minutes inside, I looked around for the host. Can’t find them. There are 3 enormous gigantic disco balls hanging, and all of the light that projected into it makes me felt dizzy. Or maybe I am just too old for that such thing. There are couples of parents on the other end of the room, so I walking towards to say hi.

They’re been there for 15minutes, and they said there is no sight of the host. One of the staff approached us and told us, the host will be late, so the party won’t be start until 12.30. I don’t think I can cope any longer in this room. So do others parents. And complaints started to flow. Not exactly complaint though, kind of winging on the thin air. 12.25, the host came in, and after apologizing, they lead the kids to the bowling alley.

This was my first experience with bowling. Call me old fashion, but I never been on Bowling Place before. So do my husband. So we watched curiously, when the kids change their shoes with bowling shoes provided, and started to play. 20 minutes, I felt so bored. My son seems felt the same, he could not concentrate on the play, and with 5 kids on every alley, he can’t be more patient to wait for his turn. I never saw his face soooo bored before.

He kept asking me, when we can leave.

So, I asked the birthday boy’s mum, how many games they’ll get, 15, she replied.
15? I can’t stand any longer. And all the mums on the room start to hush-hush again. Clearly, not only me who can’t stand but all.

I looked on to the alley. The Birthday Boy played happily. And the others loose the interest of playing. Some of the kids just lay down on the bench, doing nothing. Some of them, played hide and seek, couple of them tried to pushed the ball back to its place –sorry, I can’t remember the name of it- and my son, he was busy with score table, tried to configured the way its works.

So, when it comes to 13th games, the staff had to ask if any kids want to play. Nobodies but the Birthday Boy.
Poor thing, his mum did not pick up the signal, that all guest are tired, tired of waiting for them to coming, tired of playing such as long games, and –especially parents- sick of the place.

When finally games are over, and they sat us on the two long tables, one for the kids one for parents, my half dizzy half headache head couldn’t think clearly. The foods arrive, it doesn’t help at all.

Such a crap food. Junk food. Kids got fries, nuggets, and hot dog. Plain hot dog. Not even one lettuce leaf appears. Plain crap. No veggies, no fruits. Parents bit better, with plain sandwiches and cheese & fruit platter.

I can’t cope. But I waited until birthday cake was cut. After two bites of cheese and biscuit, I saw my son loose his appetite for his food. So I asked him to gently saying goodbye, we are leaving. My move was soon followed by others.

And we free. Out from building. See the sunshine. Such a lovely warm spring day that to hard to be missed.

Don’t get me wrong. I don’t hate Birthday Parties. Like 2 weeks ago, other friend invites us to her daughter birthday party, on the great amusement park with great food. And we happy to spend our time at that birthday. Kids are busy playing, climbing, and all physique activities with instructor aside. Mums can have a cuppa.

Just the way they pick up the venue was wrong for me. The food wasn’t good for kids. The music wasn’t right. Inappropriate for under 5. If you had teen, that is okay. Not under 5. Not babies. And I surely knew they paid like 30 dollar per kids –more expensive rather than the great amusement park which charged 25dolar per kids- for all of that (there are 15 kids, so it’s not small change money)

It left me with big homework. This month, will be our son birthday. We weren’t planning to do big party on special venue, but I really want to make it special.
Want to drop an idea for me? You are very welcome…

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails